Reclaiming the Intellectual High Ground:
Here are some of the most essential and/or most helpful resources for reclaiming the intellectual high ground. Much more could be included, but these will provide you a great start. It won’t be easy. But for the church’s strategic position in the world, it’s essential.
Not every Christian needs to be fully equipped in all of these areas. It is vital, though, that every church be well equipped: that there be people and resources for every local body of Christ to address issues and questions with knowledge and substance. It’s also important for churches to encourage scholarship: to send students to grad school, not only in theology but in almost any area of scholarship. Parents, uncles, aunts, and grandparents can help send students, and encourage them that this is part of real discipleship.
For it is in fact true that for many, scholarship is real discipleship. Does that come as a surprise to you? Some of the resources listed here (especially the books) will help explain why that’s true.
- Worldview Studies
- General Apologetics
- Love Your God with All Your Mind: The Role of Reason in the Life of the Soul by J.P. Moreland
- Knowing Christ Today: Why We Can Trust Spiritual Knowledge by Dallas Willard
- Kingdom Triangle: Recover the Christian Mind, Renovate the Soul, Restore the Spirit’s Power by J.P. Moreland
- The Reason for God: Belief in an Age of Skepticism by Timothy Keller
- Handbook of Christian Apologetics: Hundreds of Answers to Crucial Questions by Peter Kreeft and Ronald K. Tacelli